So, you are going to the Bahamas? Well, happy vacation!
But wait, what are you going to do about your dog? There’s no way you can take him with you, and leaving her all alone in the house without being cared for is not an option. If it’s the first time you won’t be with your dog for so long, make sure she is well-taken care of. Hire a dog sitter in Palmetto Bay.
If you plan to ask your friend or family member to check in on your furry friend every day, we wouldn’t recommend it. While friends and family mean well and would do it, would they be doing it begrudgingly? What happens if they get the opportunity to go out of town at the same time you will be out?
One of the best things about pet sitters is that they are reliable and offer you peace of mind that your dog will stay in their familiar surroundings, safe and comfortable. You want to go on vacation, but your dog may not. Unfamiliar surroundings can be stressful for your dog. Let them stay at home with all the familiar sights and smells.
Let’s take a look at how to choose a dog sitter:
The 3 R’s of Dog Sitters
Keep in mind that the dog sitter you choose should be insured and have a business license. Look for the 3 R’s when searching for a dog sitter:
- References: The person should provide references, so you can talk to previous clients and know how the sitter is in action.
- Rapport: It’s important to have your first meeting in your house, so that you can see how the pet sitter behaves around your dog and vice versa.
- Reliability: Looking after a dog is a huge responsibility, which is why you should hire someone you can count on. For example, if a dog sitter flakes at the last minute, they are not trustworthy. Ask about their cancellation policy and contingency plans, so you know there’s nothing to worry about while you’re thousands of miles away if an accident occurs.
Questions to Ask Your Dog Sitter
The key to making sure you have chosen a reliable sitter is asking the right questions, such as:
- Do you offer a written contract that mentions your services and fees?
- Do you offer services such as grooming, playtime, and force-free dog training?
- How much time will you spend with my dog? And will this be specified in the contract?
- If an accident occurs or my dog is harmed due to negligence, do you offer commercial liability insurance?
- What kind of training have you done? A quality pet sitter in Palmetto Bay will have training.
- If my pet has particular needs and issues, will you cater to them? (For example, his fears, medications, medical conditions, and routines)
- Do you have a backup plan in case of emergencies? Would you please tell me about it?
You should always schedule your sitter in advance. So, if a cancellation occurs from their side, you will have plenty of time for Plan B. Hiring a dog sitter in Palmetto Bay for the first time, someone you barely know, can be a little daunting. After all, they will be responsible for your best friend. If you live in Kendall, check out our blog “Why You Should Hire A Pet Sitter In Kendall For Your Vacation”.
A pro tip is to hire one who also happens to be a force-free dog trainer. That way, you will know that your dog won’t learn any bad habits when you are gone. For dog training in Miami, visit the website Dances with Dogs. They offer in-person and online dog training. To know more about their services or schedule an appointment, call on 786-299-1552.